Re: [Harp-L] Cutting reeds and tuning

On Jan 12, 2005, at 5:56 PM, RUSSEGR9@xxxxxx wrote:

Smo-joe and anyone else,
You mentioned that you used to sharp your 5 draw reeds back in 59.
How did you check the tuning? By ear with the other reeds?
I am going to try it with an old harp or two and am interested in the low
tech way to check the tuning of the reed.
thanks
russ
_
Sure, by ear. I was just a kid (16). What happened was that I broke a reed off at the rivet pad. I used a slightly larger reed but when I snipped it down to length, I had cut off the weighted tip to the point where I was a little too high. I liked it, and trimmed it in to pitch as best I could. I had thrown out the broken reed, so for a rivet, I used a tiny shoe makers "tap" nail. Later that week I took the #9 up also. Seemed logical at the time. Opened up a lot of pop tunes for me (I didn't DO country or blues back then).

This is just a perfect example of how a person can mess up really bad, and some good comes out of it. It started as an accident.

smo-joe