To: "Harp-L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2005 11:07 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] New CD (to me any way)

Hi Folks,

I thought I'd tell y'all about the new CD I bought a couple of days ago. I
got this at a buy, sell, and trade used CD place in Squirrel Hill, one of
Pittsburgh's nicer neighborhoods - but not stuffy. It only cost me $5.00 so
even though I never heard this band it wasn't too risky. Any way the DC is
"Rattlebag" by Paul Reddick And The Sidemen. Anybody hear of them? I think
they're Canadian. Paul Reddick is the harp player and vocalist. They seem
to me to be an interesting mix of country/bluegrass blues with some songs
taking up rock chord changes. They're also very JJ Kale-ish with a little
of The Band in there too. The harp is not earth shaking but it is there
throughout all the songs and Reddick uses it really well and to excellent
effect where ever it is. I can play all the stuff on this CD whereas I
can't play all the stuff on most of my harp CDs (Rod, Kim, Charlie, Little
Walter etc.). Reddick says his inspiration for the songs on this CD is Allan
Lomax's field recordings, if you can read into that. Some of the song
definitely have a delta/Sun House feel to them chord-wise.

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing what anybody else who's heard of these
guys thinks. I think they're great and a lot of fun, I can play along with
the whole CD. Later.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh