RE: [Harp-L] Low Eb XB

jazmaan wrote:

Just got my low Eb XB-Melody from Pat Missin. Pat warned me that the low Eb XB-40 seems to have
problems right out of the box even before any alterations are made to its tuning. The deep bends
from hole 4 on down are very difficult to initiate and even more difficult to sustain.

If anyone out there has a low Eb XB-40 that doesn't have this issue, I'd like to hear about it.
But until then I'd have to warn off anybody from buying the low keyed XB-40's. I think that
below G you're probably asking for trouble.

I have a G XB40, that I'm beginning to rather like (having spent time retuning - and I mean out-of-tune retuning - and gapping), and a low D that I'm going to have to grapple with big time before I can even consider taking it out of the house. On the low D 2-blow is extremely weak, and the whole low end is breathy (and I'm not even talking about bends here). Around about holes 6 to 9 the response is very inconsistent from note to note. I sent a post in a while back complaining about incorrect tuning and gapping (fixable by me, fortunately) of my G. This is a good harmonica, but I think what we're talking about here is rotten quality control. If I spend £53 (that's not much short of $100 these days) on an out-of-the-box harmonica I expect to at least be able to play a few tunes on it without having to resort to the kind of corrective surgery that most harp enthusiasts shouldn't have to carry out. End of rant!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
http://harmonicapics.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Hear clips from my CD at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm