[Harp-L] Re: Harmonica Slim info/Song Licensing Help

>I previously posted I was looking for publishing info
 for Harmonica Slim's "Drop Anchor". My band covers it
 on our upcoming CD and we are doing everything legit
 w/ licensing the cover tunes. Thanks to Ralph Parker
 and T-Roy for the info, but Unfortunately it got me
 nowhere. I was able to find info for "High Society
 Music" ,owned by Lloyed Glenn's widow, through BMI,
 but the number doesn't work. Does anybody have any
> conatct info for Mrs. Violet Glenn if she is still
with us or Mr. Travis "Harmonica Slim" Blaylock?

 And if I can't find them what do I do for a mechanical
 license for this song? List it as "Copyright Control"?

 C'mon I can't be the only guy who's recorded an ultra
 obscure tune from a 50 year old fly by night record
 label on this list.
 Thanks
> Ryan

Hi Ryan,

According to BMI's site, Violet Glenn's address is (or was): 1230 W. Wilton Place, L.A. CA 90019. But then you probably already know that. Oddly enough, when one cross-checks BMI's site by song title (or by individually looking up either Blaylock or Glenn as songwriters) the title "Drop Anchor" is not listed. Similarly a search of Harry Fox's site yields nothing, either by song title or writers' name(s.) Same with ASCAP.

On the original 78, Vita Records' address is listed as: 1486 No. Fair Oaks, Pasadena CA. But then that probably won't be of much help these days.

As far as I know, Harmonica Slim is still living. His latest CD (2000) is called "Cold Tacos and Warm Beer" on Fedora Records. Perhaps a letter to them might clear things up? Fedora Records, c/o Jazz Depot, 106 W. 71st St, NY NY 10023.

In the meantime you could always go ahead and issue your CD with the info you do know, i.e.: (Blaylock-Glenn) High Society Pub., BMI. After all you have made every legitimate attempt to chase down the license, and provided you kick in the royalties when/if the contact info comes to light, you should be OK.

good luck,

Tom Ball