Re: [Harp-L] 59 Bassman (generalizing tube swaps)

----- Original Message ----- From: <Marion.Spiers@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] 59 Bassman (generalizing tube swaps)

If I had a 59RI, I would be contacting Ted Weber for a coppercap rectifier
module. He can supply one that will lower the working voltage of the amp
and still have the "sag" characteristics of your favorite rectifier tube.
Only then can you really go by what came in an original 59, because the
voltages are too high in the RI, which changes everything. You must have
the bias set correctly as well. I would also change the coupling caps to
Mallory 150s or the vintage ones Sonny JR is offering and change the plate
resistors to carbon comps.
This still won't make it the same as a real one, but it will be lots
better than it was, and doesn't cost a lot

This is ABSOLUTELY correct on this and that's why if you do ANY tube substitutions with power tubes and recitifier tubes, (preamp tubes are self biasing and won't be necessary to do this)..Not rebiasing the amp if you choose to substitute power tubes and/or rectifier tubes can do serious harm to the amp. The vintage ones Sonny Jr is offering is NOS Astrons, which were the ones that are on a real Bassman. One thing to remember, reissues use a printed circuit board and the real ones uses cloth covered, solid core, hand wiring, and even getting the correct wire can make a difference. The transformers on the reissue are quite different than what's on a real one, and the real ones uses an interleaved type from Triad, wheras the reissues uses a much cheaper Schumacher. Like I've posted often, the complete lowdown on ALL of the differences between a reissue and the real deal is explained in great detail in Gerald Weber's book "A Desktop Reference of Hip Vintage Guitar Amps," which is available thru his website http://www.kendrick-amps.com or thru http://www.amazon.com.

Harp content:   A good amp will inspire you, reproducing and enhancing
what you're playing (if you have good chops). If you're inspired, you'll
play better, if you're frustrated with tube swapping you won't. I think a
lot of the amp/gear obsession comes from amps not letting tone through, so
the corollary to Bob's motto is,  accoustic tone is a must-have, but I
don't want to lose any of it playing through a crap amp, I want people to
hear what I really sound like.

Just my .02
kcmojo

The good gear can be fun, but again, if acoustic tone and chops ain't there, nothing will ever help you. Great amps never hid poor chops and acoustic tone ever!!!!

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com