Re: [Harp-L] re: 2hole octave: Wow!

Wow I open my mail-box and I see so many post about what I have said! Wow! I had no ideas that it could be such a tread!! Wow!

Let's make it clear: by a chromatic scale, I mean a Full chromatic scale so ONE full octave!

the man I first heard doing that is Allen Holmes who is quite an accomplished player. technically talking, I know a bunch of folks (including myself) able to do that, but actually, Allen is the only one I heard able to make real MUSIC and not "look what I can do" stuff!!

I was in Occoquan when Allen talked to me about that. And He did show me. Let's say that we're using a standard C harp (Filisko, Bahrat or whatever): you get: 5b (E), 5d (F), 5ob (F#) (I can bend up that overblow to the Ab), then 6b (G), 6d bent (Ab), 6d (A), 6ob (Bb), then bend up the 6ob to the C then C# then D then Eb then E!!!

So, we get a full chromatic scale, unless you prove me that there are more than 12 semitones in a full octave!

The most difficult, I think, is to manage to do it. Myself, I need to hear the note to make it. So, I have first trained my hear on Winslow discrete comb. Then, I have been using my custom Golden Melody.
I find much easier to play that kind of stuff on low harps like G, Ab and A. With a Bb or B it is becoming more tough for me.

It can be useful to play that kind of things, depends of the musical context. I love to play slide trombons parts. Then, these bent overbends are very useful to reproduce the slide effect of the trombone.

I also assume that, like any technics, it might be not very easy, at the beginning to put into a musical context. But that's a matter of practice.

Meawhile, though harmonica limit as been put very far by Howard and Joe Filisko, I still strongly believe that these limits can be pushed further!

Look at the guitar players!!! A century ago, who would have think that it could be players like Tommy Emmanuel, Chet Atkins and Doc Watson nowadays! But they're here!

I find most of your reactions pretty funny! After what have done Howard, how can you say that something is impossible???

Yours,

Froggy

rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Chris wrote: "there's no practical reason to do this."

We're musicians. We don't have to be practical.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm