Re: [Harp-L] "Harp Preparation" Prior to a Gig

Actually, prior a gig, I am trying to play less as possible, even not touch the harmonica at all, because it happen, one day, that I did "empty myself" playing to much before the gig, and once I went onstage, it was not very good. Though, the people did appreciate it, and asked me 5 times to come back to play one more song after I left the stage, well, I had the strange feeling that me and my harps were empty. I do not really know haw to make ye understand. That's how I did feel at the moment: empty. It was not like when you're trying to catch a girl and feel shy or/and silly (I always feel silly anyway!!), but something similar. I had the feeling that absolutely no note were resonating, that my harmonicas were out of tune, unresponsive...

So, since, I do not play before a gig, but I am used to clean my harmonicas instead. I also keep a glass of cold water with me to rinse and cold my mouth ad my breath as not reed get stuck with condensation: it is always confusing when you walk on stage, (I am used to perform alone) and take your harmonica, seem to blow but no sound comes out! Then, I try to turn it into comical joke, but anyway, even if the audience do not mind, I do!

So, cleaning harmonicas, and Cold Water. That's my harp preparation prior a gig. When I was busking in the cold Galway's main street, I was used to put a tiny bit of vaseline on the cover-plates as my liàps do not stick then bledds (bleeding is not a big deal, but then, the blood sticks your lips to the harmonicas and that's a problem, and the morning after, as soon as you yawn, you understand that you're gonna have pain for the 4 coming days)!

Froggy

JamesDSchultz@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hello All

I am curious to find out if any body else performs
"Harp Preparation", prior to a Gig.

I hold my Harp a bit slanted, and after a night of playing, and sometimes
being a bit overenthusiastic with the Trills, I find
that I wear a bit of skin off, below my bottom lip. I'm try to get a
callous, but it's not working too well. Fingers are better at that. Although Beer
often helps to lubricate, while playing, I find that if I rub a small amount of
Peanut Oil on a napkin, and softly rub it across my Harps, not drenching, or
pushing the napkin fibers into the holes, while still home, it gives me that
little edge.

They probable sell it already, in a Big Music Store, next to the Gorilla
Snot, for $6.95. And it's just Peanut Oil in a fancy bottle.

I am curious to find out if any body else performs
any type of "Harp Preparation", prior to a Gig.

Thanks, Jim