Re: [Harp-L] San Francisco/Amateurs and pros

I personally support the Pro ?Jam- amateur -discouraging -jam ?session-
format, and here?s why:

           - First of all the Pros are usually not pro?s meaning they don?t
on average make their money or even the majority of their   income from
music?.they?re just guys who have been doing it a while and did there
homework a long time ago.

- Second: I went to a jam like this when I was young and had been playing
like 3 years I was 18?I didn?t sit in I just watched. It was very much a pro
jam BBQ Bob was there often and he was the deal, and Per Hanson snuck me in
the back door so I could watch? I did my home work/jamming in my living room
with friends and there guitars etc?I didn?t know about Little Walter or
bullet mics. or anything I learned a lot just by watching and the bar sold a
lot of beer on these nights cause the Jam was successful with great players
all night thus this jam went on for a number of years not weeks.
-
- Thirdly:  Even though I didn?t play for a long time(at the jam) (like two
years) the players were very supportive and I learned way more by listening
and talking to these guys then I ever could have from sitting in. They made
me tapes and gave me tips and I would ask a lot of questions at the shows
like how do you tounge block, get that tone etc?.I went home and tried these
with my buddies.a lot of people probably got offended by these attitudes and
my opinion is that learning involves humbling yourself and I don?t know if I
have heard from any of those guys that got pissed and left since?Two of the
people(Kids) that didn?t get upset were myself and Nick Curran and were
doing ok these days probably because we always loved music more than our
egos
- .
- Forth: If those guys hadn?t of been so selective in choosing who they let
up to play, I probably would not have been able to define for myself what a
?pro? looked like and sounded like?this gave me something to strive for and
try to live up to?it made me want to work harder to be better and get closer
to those Little Walter songs I was mimicking to win there approval, the
bi-product of this was: I became a more knoledgable player and got better
faster. The club was The Big Easy in Portland Maine remember that Jam Bob?
You were one of the kings of this Jam at least for me!
-
- Fifth: I realize this sort of competitive environment is not for everyone,
but if were talking about turning an ?am? into a ?pro? this environment is
beyond essential because it breeds: humility, concentration, perceverence
and dedication. It weeds out those looking for a quick thrill- I.E jamming
in front of an audience, from those truly looking and trying to improve
themselves musically.
- Thanks so much don?t hate me because I?m beautiful
- Jason Ricci

Right, but before we get on a long train of messages here denigrating
the "blues jam hacks" and others who are trying to learn, let's add that
most "pros" probably learned NOT to do this stuff at those blues jams
(or performing poorly in their first bands!). Ya gotta start somewhere,
and the blues jams are a good place to do it once you've spent the
requisite time in the woodshed learning how to play (yeah, some folks
come out too early, screw up jams, and that's wrong too).

I think many of these jams have become showcases where the "pros" from
various bands show up and jam with each other, rather than a place where
"hacks" can learn chops and how to perform in a group setting. It's
discouraging for the ones trying to learn, because they get the dirty
looks and other negative issues (like the "pros" don't want to play with
any "hacks" in the jam lineup). Let's keep the genre alive and support,
encourage. None of you guys were born with this knowledge, share it with
those who want to learn, be careful not to put them down in subtle ways.
Think about who took the time to help you, in a long ago and far away
galaxy...

Bill Hines