Re: [Harp-L] Re: San Francisco/Amateurs and pros

larryboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

agree with most of what everybody else has said, except, there seems to be an undercurrent, that amateurs should sit and watch and some how it’s ok if a pro puts the amateur in their place (i.e. off the stage). This rubs me the wrong way.......bigtime.

Hear hear! I've always thought the best way to handle the pro/am mix at jam sessions is to consider the audience first. I knew a guy who'd put newbies and dodgy players up with the house rhythm section to make sure that the overall sound never got too far out of hand. They almost always knew how to help the less skilled and discretely end a train wreck. Positive energy, even in the face of inexpertly played music, almost always warms the hearts of the audience, even when the the so called pros are at the back of the bar, swigging their beers and rolling their eyes.

(Just Plain) Bob