Re: [Harp-L] Uncle Ed's jam night etiquette

I'm with Ed on this. If I go to a jam where I know folks, I'll generally show up early and do a tune or two with them during their set before jammers go on stage. If I show up later and there are a lot of people waiting I'll just hang out and let the jammers have their fun.

I get a chance to play fairly often and got started at jams, so I'm happy to let others take the stage time. As far as coaching, if it weren't for Gary Smith and his drummer Johnnie saying "OK Ned, next time you sit in you've got to sing at least one tune", I may not have even started singing. Another advantage is that if you're singing it's damn difficult to play over the singer. 8)

How's about an ettiquette list?

Listen to the others and give props. for things you enjoy.
Act like a band member - watch others solo and try to groove.
Don't play over the singer.
Ask the key of the song, don't guess.
If you're lost, just relax, listen and enjoy (it may seem like a really long 4 minutes).
If you need to warm up do it outside, not at the bar.

Keep cool,

Ned