[Harp-L] Jamming/Listening etc

I may have gotten out of bed on the wrong side today, but I have to take a
contrarian position on some of the things alluded to in this thread.  I
fully
agree with Richard's enumeration of pro vs. amateur characteristics.  And I
agree with most of what everybody else has said, except, there seems to be
an
undercurrent, that amateurs should sit and watch and some how it's ok if a
pro
puts the amateur in their place (i.e. off the stage).  This rubs me the
wrong
way.......bigtime.    If a pro wants to play with pro players only, then
he/she
should go to a "by-invitation-only" jam.  Blues jams are by their very
nature
"open".  That means that anyone who signs up gets to play.  I have no
problem
with giving the pros more time and trying to match players of "similar"
abilities.  This is very hard work for the host and is often overlooked by
the
attendees eager for their time to play.  If a pro-player comes to a jam,
then
this is what he/she should expect.  The comment was made "No pro wants to be
around anything that can needlessly embarass them in any way....."  Hey
guess
what?  No amateur wants to be needlessly embarrassed either.  Embarrassing
someone is rude behavior. There is no excuse for being rude.  Part of being
pro is not being rude, especially to other musicians who admire you.  Having
said that, I've experience much more rudeness from amateurs than any pro
player.  An open blues jam is open.  Its not anybody's private party.   But
these jams are the primary venue for new players to work with other
musicians.
After woodshedding, its time to see what you can do in a live environment.
Everyone should check their ego at the door.

Best Regards to All,

Larry Boy Pratt
www.parkhousejam.com

PS: Sorry if I seem cranky this morning.  I was up late at a blues jam last
night!

There's been a lot of interesting points and topics brought up under this
thread to comment on.  As a listener I have basically stopped going to jams
because of a lot of things mentioned.  All of our time is valuable and when
I want to go hear live music I don't want to hear people hacking their way
through Sweet Home Chicago for the 100th time.  If there are pros there then
I'd rather go hear them with their regular band--hearing arrangements and
band interaction is much more enjoyable in my opinion.  Generally in a jam
situation it's every man or woman out for themself, and the overall sound be
damned.  An overgeneralization I know.

Regarding BB Bob's and others comments on listening.  If you are going to
play harp or any horn for that matter you better have a lot of patience and
discipline, or develop it quickly.  Of course it's much more fun to be
playing a lot rather than standing around, either in a garage or on stage.
If you want to play all the time play the drums or bass, or even guitar or
keys.  But if you want to play the harp you have to understand the role of
the instrument, which I think is a big part of what separates the pros from
the learners.  When I started playing with a couple different groups of new
people the best compliments I got were that I knew when not to play.  At
least I think that's what they said--not that I sounded better when I didn't
play.  Music is an ultimate form of teamwork, especially when playing in a
band.  I have an analogy that a band is like the offensive part of a
football team--at least it works for a lot of jazz and certain other types.
The keyboardist is usally the quarterback.  They all seem to think
orchestrally due to being able to cover the melody, harmony, and bass parts
on their instrument.  Many of them seem to know what everyone should be
doing at all times.  Guitarists are like running backs--often in the
spotlight but sometimes in the background like blocking.  The bass and
drummer are like the O-line, always doing the grunt work and not always
getting recognized.  Harp and horn players--the wide receivers.  They're not
always involved in the action, but when they are the spotlight is generally
full on them.  So if you want to be a harp player/wide receiver you have to
realize there a lot of running plays or you are the decoy and when you get
your chance make the most of it.

I think another part of listening is trust.  There is something very
profound about performing as a band.  You are standing in front of people
creating something (sound, art, whatever) from nothing (silence).  You are
relying on your band members to have their parts right or be in the same
groove if you're improvising and if everyone's not on the same page, look
out below.  We all want that positive audience feedback and it's not always
there, which can be depressing or intimidating.  Listening to your partners
and developing licks and arrangements that fit together is the fun part.
When everything is clicking there's nothing better.  Well, maybe one--like
the song says, "better than anything except being in love."

My philosophical 2 cents worth for the day.

Sky