RE: [Harp-L] "boutique" amps

As I've been there for many years, I understand the realities of a tight
budget, and working hard to get the most out of the few available
discretionary dollars. I am lucky in that after many years of scraping to
pay the bills, I have a bit of money to spend on myself however I choose.

I'll admit it: I have some high-end guitar gear. It is far better than my
skills could ever justify. But I enjoy it. I also  know that any bad sound
is me, not the equipment. I currently have no high-end harp gear. But I do
expect that one day when I get a chance to play outside the livingroom, I'll
likely get a Sonny Jr.

Something I discovered about music gear is that you never buy it; you only
rent it. What I mean is unlike almost anything else in this world, guitars,
amps, etc hold their value. Assuming a careful purchase, the real cost of a
$2000 amp or guitar, using it for a few years, then selling it, can be
nearly zero.

It rankles me that no one would question if I were driving a car that cost
$10,000 more than the simple vehicle I choose to drive. Yet that $10,000
automotive 'investment' evaporates in just a few years.  But spend a
fraction of that money on an amp or a guitar, and I am simply being
frivolous. I don't even play well enough to make the most of that high-end
gear anyway. Funny that no one questions if your driving skills are
sufficient to justify a high-performance BMW or Porshe.

Paul