[Harp-L] Gibson GA90

There is no evidence to my knowledge, Scott Dirks and Joe Filisko would
probably know best about suspect amps Walter was said to use. The only one I  know
of personally, and this is when I had my Dano Commandos, was he used one of
those, Billy Boy Arnold saw mine at the Harmonica Masterclass in 98 or 99 and
said, yeah, like that, where you split the two pieces apart. The GA90 was
used  by Kim on Tiger man, it has good tone, but when you start to get more
volume out  of it, she does not cooperate. You can check with anyone that has owned
one, I  have had 4 or 5. Eric Besanko has one of the cleanest collections of
Gibson amps  possibly available for sale, you can check the
_www.harmonicamasterlcass.com_ (http://www.harmonicamasterlcass.com)   vintage amps page. Plus
Gibson's of that area always need major cap work and are  not a walk in the
park to service. Search if you must. Walter was known to take  old PA systems and
put the two speaker cabs on the wall, as can be seen in a pic  from Scott's
book. I had heard he used Masco MA17 which is what I based my Sonny  Jr 1 and
Sonny Jr 2 on, we used the low voltage to the plates from those amps,  the
power section, and Tom of Cotton Amps designed the preamp section for modern  day
application with harp, and I went searching for the best 8" speakers, and  the
custom big Pyle's outdid any vintage Jensen, and trust me, I tried them all,
so that is where we went , Initially in our search. First the SJ1 to capture
Walter's recorded sound, then we knew the Harpking was coming out and
designed  the Sonny Jr, which drove yes that six 8" speakers, only with us we used
two  output transformers to keep it fatter and thicker. Of course we tried
bigger  outputs running all 4 6L6's but not the same sound. I believe the Gibson
GA90  ran one output for their small 3-5 watt speakers they used, usually Rolas,
285  manufacturer code. The guys with the really loud bands had commented
that the 8  inchers did not project far enough into the audience, and besides,
Pyle went out  of business hence ending any other ideas of using 8" speakers. I
have tried  every new one on the market and they all use a smooth shiny cone
that sounds  like buzzing bees. Hence the putting together of the SJ410, using
the preamping  knowledge from previous Sonny amps with the bassman, but using
the parts I did  felt I could separate myself from any other replica maker,
and all the reviews  support it. You don't see many hear on harpL as not many of
my guys are on the  list, but I invested a large sum to buy out two 50's
supply houses of all their  AStron and similar military brand paper in oil
capacitors, while everyone else  was using orange drops.That with custom wound True
to specs outputs and power  trannies, both are unique in a bassman, especially
the output, speaker config  mixing speakers, Scott and I had similar ideas
working on that front and never  met each other yet. A really good shape GA90
will run you $1200 - $1600, and if  it was a killer harp amp, I would say go for
it, just my experience and a few  others that have owned them. Eric is my only
contact for you. His email is   _EBesanko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:EBesanko@xxxxxxxxxxxx)    you  can tell him Sonny sent you, and good luck. One of the
absolute best Gibson or  any other amp I have blown through, and I dont think I
missed many, was an early  version of the GA77, from 1954 - 1956. They changed
the circuit completely in  57, those early ones with a single 15" have the best
harp tone naturally I have  come across in all my years. Only 154 made in 54.
Search on Mudharp if you must,  get some other opinions, guess my bottom line
take on the 90 is great tone, but  cannot be pushed past the point of wanting
to really kick it out there without  feedback. Now that guys are stepping up
to the 410 that have previously owned  the SJ2 with 6 x 8, they are available
from around that same price quote I gave  you for a 50 year old amp. I don't
sell them and not pushing it, but if you want  that sound from a GA90 I think
that amp comes closest, guys don't use the treble  control on the SJ2 enough, it
acts as a boost gain, so many have always been  afraid of treble from Bassman
experiences, depends on how the amp was  designed. All the best. For the
vintage buffs, I recently acquired one of the  most rare Danelectro amps made, the
white 1957 Dano twin 15, each 15 had and  output driving it. Very few have
seen one, even the fellows who wrote the  Guitars from Neptune book, and
excellent history of Dano and Silvertone amps, my  friend Doug had only briefly seen
one in his whole Dano career. Alas, I had to  have it when the opportunity
arrived, only to find it had too much gain for  harp, and will be sold as a pure
collector/ guitar amp, Sick sound for guitar,  FAT. On the new website I am
developing I hope to evaluate a vintage amp per  month, my opinion and then get
your feedback on ones you have had. Worst harp  amp that was touted as being
great, so don't bother, is the Valco with 4 large  oval speakers, zippo,
nothing, no tone, imagine my surprise when I finally got  one last year after 15
years of searching. You tap on the mic and go, crap, no  bottom , no tone, and
sure enough, nadda. I only give these opinions to  hopefully save you guys that
have heard myth stories about vintage amps, yes  it;s just my opinion, but I
think my ears do well for tone after hearing so  many, at least 3000 vintage
amps have passed my way, my tech has the arthritis  to prove it:))