Re: Fwd: Re: [Harp-L] re: Gear LONG

I have a similar story from last weekend.  I was using my RI Bassman (which I got for dirt cheap and am still using the Sovtek 12ax7 Groove tubes...it does have a tube rectifier, however...but the speakers are factory...I've decided that my music money will go to more harps rather then gear) and the band was really digging the sound.  I stood across the room with my wireless during sound check and liked the sound a lot.  The last song of the first set, the guitar player's amp went out.  Not being one to stress about gear, I lent him mine and plugged into a Bronson Valco.

Immediately, the band noticed the difference in sound and we were all so-so with the setup.  Several musicians in the audience also said they liked the other sound better.  Chris Michalek walked in and right away knew the Bassman wasn't being used.  So every musician in the club heard the difference, and I didn't have "my sound" or the punch I get from the Bassman.  Now I didn't sound bad, but it wasn't me.  Thankfully, all the non-musicians there didn't mind, because only music nerds like myself even think about such things.

Point being I played the exact same as I always do, the amp choice did make a difference with my game and people noticed.

I still insist that good acoustic tone doesn't equal good amped tone.  In both cases your hands can make a big difference on the sound.  Not to say that there aren't a lot of us who sound good both ways.

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joe Spiers"
wrote:
I've tried to avoid this thread, but heck not much else going on so
here I
go-
One night I was sounding GREAT through my 4-10 tweed Fender tone
machine
until something in the printed circuit board went on strike. I asked
the
guitar player if he had any spare vintage bassmans or princetons in
his back
seat, and he said nope, but I've got a Peavey in the trunk you can
use or
I'll sell it to ya for 350 bucks (!!). UGH it wasn't even a Peavey,
it was
Peaveys cheap brand, can't even remember the name, but it was
all-solid-state baby, vintage cheeze, and had a big ole 12 inch
speaker! I
grabbed it and ran back inside (sure was a lot lighter to carry!)
After
about 5 minutes of dialing it in, and miced through the PA I'm here
testify that nobody in the audience knew or cared what I was playing
through. It sounded great, because I sound great through anything,
even a
Bluesblaster plugged straight into the board. It is true, a good
player can
make any rig sound good, even a rolled up piece of cardboard. It'll
only
bring you down if you let it.

Great accoustic tone is too subjective to even start in on, some
people even
like listening to Bob Dylan (flame away) but the truth is, great
RESONANT
accoustic tone means great amped tone. Now why don't we change the
subject
and discuss crystal vs. black label c.r. vs white label c.m. vs SM58
geeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz

Now get back to practicing