Re: [Harp-L] Subject: Who decides who is Bad or Good?

EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

techniques and some diatonic blues after playing chromatics for years -- how on earth is someone like me to ever know whether I'm "good", "bad" or merely "passable", especially after hearing this?

You'll know when it happens. And when you do, you won't need anyone's validation.

It took every ounce of courage I had to tentatively play my chromatic for

Use that courage and also use the fear to keep you on your toes. Butterflys in the stomach aren't a bad thing. It does get better.

Since I'm the only musical one in my family with no encouragement and have only been able to play what I hear, naturally I'm already unsure about any musical capabilities I might have, have had absolutely no harmonica players in my life to give me pointers or critiques so am, essentially, flying blind.

The sad truth about music (and the arts in general) is that 2% make 98% of the money leaving everyone else to fight for the crumbs. This sets you up for disappointment if you're hoping to find encouragement or validation from practitioners. Don't get me wrong, there are some generous players out there who go out of their way to help people along but you'll find they are few and far between which is what makes them so very special.

What's that old joke? How many harp players does it take to screw in a light bulb? Four. One to do it and three to stand there saying they could've done it better.

they wouldn't immediately decide I was a BAD player because I'm nowhere of the caliber of a Sonny Terry, Big or Little Walter, etc.

Just be yourself. Play because you love the music. Practice because it's fun to learn new things. At a minimum you'll get proficient. And if (a) you practice your buns off, (b) you've got something to say and (c) audiences dig it, you won't worry whether someone whom you don't know thinks your a bad player.

I suppose if there's a question in all of this it's this (for anyone to answer): Who told you - or how did you find out YOU were a good player?

This is an interesting question. There are a great many musicians out there who are legends in their own minds. Whom do you imagine told them? Of the genuinely talented, well . . . the word will get out and people will treat you accordingly. But in the end, if you're playing for audiences and you pack houses, there'll be no shortage of people telling you how good you are.

(Just Plain) Bob