[Harp-L] Re: J.C. Burris

Yes Sonny Jr was Sonny Terry Driver/Valet/Student/Friend for many years and learnt a heck of a lot about playing harp from him.

J.C. Burris was Sonny Terrys nephew and he learnt to play harp directly from Sonny when as a boy he would act as Sonnys guide and walk Sonny into the local town. On the way there and back Sonny would teach him harp riffs and rhythms etc.
He recorded a couple of times with Sonny and made one album of his own called "One of these Mornings" he was a great player and if you don't have this album I would recommend you get it (it has been re-released on CD).
On this album he plays solo harp the only backing is his foot tapping or his "Bones" that he uses on one track, He also does one track with his dancing doll Mr Jack. I have had this album for many years and there is lots of stuff for Sonny Terry aficionados to learn from it.

I am sure that Sonny Jr and Tom Ball could tell you more about Sonny and J.C. as could Paul Lamb (although I have never seen him post on this list), these guys are the best Sonny style players around.

Hope this helps
Paul