[Harp-L] J.C Burris

Paul's summary of J.C.Burris was correct. He recorded harp on at least one
of Sonny's albums, and yes the Bones, spoons, were all in J.C.'s repertoire,
and  he can be seen on that Sonny Terry video, the two part series, some with
Brownie  McGhee, some with Sonny and J.C.. One of the most amazing parts of that
is  Sonny Terry would put the harp in his mouth and tap dance to his  rhythm.
First just try that on your own, then close your eyes and do it like  Sonny
was. Sonny didn't talk much about JC, I don't know if he passed away  young, or
they had a falling out. If anyone has true information about it I  would be
interested. I did meet Jabo, who I think was Sonny's older brother, or  cousin.
Hey, I was 21. We visited him when his health was failing in 1977  in
Baltimore, they took me in like I was family of course, fed me till I  burst. That
was one of the duets Sonny and I did, Ol Jabo..   Great rhythm line to play
together, along with the signature riff during  the song we would do together.
Me and Jabo ran across that field,....
Great big snake bit him on the heel
Up he jump and away he ran.
Couldn't catch the fool in an airplane
Ol Jabo didn't have no shoes
That's why he had those running blues. ...........
The book by Kent Cooper with the little plastic small album that
demonstrates what he scripted out is by far the best information and  break down of Sonny
Terry's life and style. I believed Kent lived in New  York and was a good
friend to Sonny and Emma, Sonny's wife. I still have  nearly 100 live cassettes
of our duets, along with Sonny and Brownie live, so  far the person handling
Emma's affairs from Sonny did not pursue it, some are  great recordings even
though on a 70's cassette recorder in the audience. Sonny  and Brownie gave me
permission of course, no one else could record their shows  from the audience,
strictly forbidden, the older blues men got screwed so many  times they
deserved to be paranoid. I hope to put some of the duets we did in  with my CD that
some day will be produced. I know many pop out CD's like they  are candy, but
mine will have to be different, say something real, be real. Just  a little
history, as the crowds enjoyed a young white boy coming up and doing  3-4 harp
duets with Sonny who would call me up at the end of the shows, and  Brownie
would sit there and talk smack, Brownie kind of retaliated and had his  own
sidekick, a drinking buddy piano player named Leroy Little, who traveled  with
Brownie for about 6 months and played with them during the whole show.  Brownie was
a great cook, and would have a plug in skillet for his car, and cook
chicken, ribs, you name it, while he drove all those miles, with some "soda' to  wash
it down. Sonny and I drove in our own car and they just got on stage and  did
their thing, Sonny started the show with "his" songs, then turned it over to
Brownie who did his songs, Brownie had stopped harmonizing with Sonny by the
time I was with them in late 76, it wasn't the same as on the recordings.
Then  Sonny would call me up after Brownie's part, we would do our duets, and
Brownie  and Sonny were supposed to close the show. Sometimes Brownie would walk
off and  just leave, Sonny asking me, where'd he go man. Screw him he would
say, and we  would do another duet and close the show. Obviously Sonny made me
sound good, I  really was new and only playing 2-3 years when performing with
him. I sounded  good when doing the duets with him, but when he let me solo for
3-4 minutes  doing my thing, I was so terrible it is painful to listen to I
really  don't. Mark Hummel and I got to know each other a lot better last
seminar in  Chicago, I have great respect for him and his playing, as he spent time
playing  with Brownie at certain periods in the 80's. May all you fellow
harpers be well.  Sonny Jr.