RE: [Harp-L] 'A' harp issue

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Rowse

"Anyone else been through this? Is there really a
mugh-bigger-than-normal
difference between Bb and A harps? Maybe it's my head resonance? Or
maybe
it's just my head, whaddaya think?"

Eric writes:
I wonder, about this - because I have had no similar effect. In fact,
since there are so many tunes in E, and 2nd position was my primary mode
for so long, I can't say that I have had this problem. It makes me
wonder about whether or not it is just in the skulls of those that find
it hard to "cut through". There is only a half step between the Bb and
the A harp.

How comfortable are you with blow bends on the A harp? There are some
pretty fine licks that can be had above hole 7 that can lend themselves
nicely to a tune in E while attacking a song in 2nd position on an A
harp.

Have you tried a Special 20 in the key of A yet? And if so, have you
ever thought about gapping, and tightening the reeds up a bit? Many,
many folks swear by this particular model - if not the Marine Band.

A really cool choice is one of Tim Moyer's T-Bone; a mix of MB reeds,
and cover plates married to a Special 20 comb. Very nice - and I would
reckon this could be the answer to your dilemna.
http://workingmansharps.com/tboneharps.htm

I would also think that using the D harp for 3rd position when the band
calls out E would be the easiest, and least expensive solution for now.
And I am pretty sure you'd find a great hook in there somewhere.