[Harp-L] Subject: Who Decides Who is Bad or Good?

Okay -- to respond to the many replies to my post re "Who decides who  is Bad
or Good" (Harp player).  Surprisingly, the only responder to  fully
understand where I was going was fjm, our very smart team leader  (list-owner).

I wasn't asking for advice on "how to be a better  harp player" (but for
those who responded that way privately as well as on the  list, your very
well-intentioned and sincere advice is appreciated and I'm happy  to accept it as
such, thank you!).

Being so misunderstood then  makes even more imperative a 2nd round of
"culpas" to Bobbie for a prior  response <g>.....

A few responders actually answered my other  question: "Who first told YOU
you were Good"?   When the answers then  alluded mostly to getting feed-back
from an audience, I realized I hadn't made  myself at all as clear as I'd
thought.  There is a huge gulf (and much  time) between noodling on the harmonica in
one's home - to finally gigging in  front of an audience.

 In order to end up playing with a band or up on a stage, one must
necessarily have been given some sense of one's abilities long before.  So  my question
should have been phrased better:  "Who was the FIRST person  ever -- when you
began playing harmonica, who told you YOU were 'good' enough  (to then want
to continue practicing/playing)"?

I used my own experience  purely as an example of someone growing up without
contact with other  harpists  having absolutely no feedback about whether or
not anyone other  than  friends and family would like to hear more of what one
does.

I play to please myself and when it falls into place and I  get lost in the
music and it's all cooking, there's no better feeling (well  almost <g>).
Having no one to 'high-five" (I practice mostly  when alone), I've even
danced around the room afterwards (you had to be  there).  Again in my case I will
attend a Jam Camp and teaching seminars  and rely thereto on what I'm sure
will be my instructors' objective feedback as  to any progress I might be making.

My whole point was  that  people here -- amateurs, semi-professionals and
professionals were  making dismissive judgments about OTHER players being "BAD
harp  players".   In my very humble opinion no one has that right to make  what
is an exceedingly subjective opinion about another musician.... and   I'd
wager that the very top players (the living ones anyway) would not be so  small as
to elevate their egos by calling other musicians "bad".  Can  anyone imagine
Clapton making a similar comment about a fellow  guitarist?

Most of the feedback/advice I got referred to how to become a  "good" or
"better" player.  Not ONE used the word BAD.   Yet that  was the phrase used here:
 "A bad harp player is BAD despite his gear" (I'm  paraphrasing).

Actually in today's thread vis-a-vis gear, Dennis  Gruenling said it best.
"However, the better your playing, the more you will get  out of good gear."
Succinct and logical.

I've been listening  to music my entire life.  If I'm not enjoying a
particular piece of music  or  artist I change the station or replace the CD with one
more to my  liking.  I can honestly say I've never described another musician
as a  "bad" guitarist/pianist/saxophonist, whatever.  Perhaps their style
isn't  to my taste, perhaps I'm not evolved enough to appreciate where they are
going  with their music but the connotation that I would somehow have the right
to  judge his/her playing as "Bad" is anathema to me.

I have no ambition to  being anything more than I am:  an amateur harmonicist
thoroughly enjoying  my return to it rather late in life.  I play piano but
certainly not good  enough to gig with a band, however I don't play my music or
write my songs for  anyone else's enjoyment but my own. And yes, I really
have been able to achieve  "blowing with Soul".  Believe it or not we are legion
-- us  amateurs.   I absolutely LOVE singing and making music -  all  alone
with no one around to hear.  The few times I've had an admittedly  very small
audience (a family house party) it was pleasant enough to have them  enjoy what
I was doing, but also stressful (due to my inherent stage  fright) and took
away much of my personal enjoyment of what I'd achieved.   When I can get close
to arriving at the music I hear in my head, that makes me  happy.  These small
pleasures afford a level of contentment.  I'm not  looking for much more.
For some unknown reason my attitude seems  sacrilegious to those who feel you
have to be "professional or what's the  point?".  I'm not in it for
"competition" or trying to better someone  else.  That isn't what music is about.

What bothered me though, is  that I'm sure there are beginning or other
newbie harp players in similar  situations as mine who MAY be looking to become
more professional, to perhaps  eventually land a gig with a band.  A lot of the
dialogue that went on  could subdue or even chase away some young (or not so
young) player who may be  the next "Phenom" but is shy and has no way to judge
their own abilities....and  that would be a terrific shame.   I anticipate the
argument then -  that one has to be "tough to make it in this business".
Undoubtedly so,  but again IMHO that's really just an excuse certain individuals
have  developed as a reason to use  bullying in the guise of "doing  good".

Elizabeth