[Harp-L] RE: XB-40

I actually agree with most of Chris' criticisms of the XB-40, but only with regard to the
off-the-shelf, out-of-the-box models.  Like most people on the list,  I was disappointed with the
off-the-shelf XB-40.   Like Chris said, its "tough to play and one needs extremely good intonation
to make it sound right."   Maybe my intonation isn't "extremely good" or maybe I'm just lazy, but
the unmodified XB-40 was too much work for me!

As detailed in many past messages, that's why I play the retuned XB-Melody, which is probably less
than half as demanding in the intonation department.   And the XB-Melody also liberates me from
"2nd position mentality" Chris describes.   Using only my Bb harp I've already uploaded blues in
"A" ("Born in Chicago"), blues in "C" ("Mary Ann"), jazz in "Dm" ("A Night in Tunisia"), and some
of you have recently heard my rendition of "Girl Talk" in "Eb".

As for tone - I think the tone is going to vary from player and from key to key.  A "C" XB-40 may
sound more shrill than a "C" Golden Melody, but is it more shrill than a "C" chromatic?   If you
put all these harps in a rack will some of the tonal differences disappear?   Have the people who
dislike the XB-40's tone tried them in keys other than "C"?