RE: [Harp-L] XB-40

I'm not discounting what anybody says and certainly don't think Uncle
Win and fairweather have thin sounds. However the sound that I can
produce on the the XB-40 is much thinner than what I can get out of a
standard diatonic.

I'm may not be a serious XB-40 player but I am a serious harmonica
player and well versed enough to have legitimately put the XB-40
through it's paces.  The only useful sounds I could get where
crossharp patterns with some wicked bends.  I rarely play crossharp
these days and unfortunately 99.9% of players do. Including the
fellows that designed it.  It works great for blues but won't give
you that traditional ballsy bluesy harp sound.  It works ok for jazz
if its coupled with a 2nd position mentality.  I play bye bye black
bird in 11th position on a my standard harps.  I tried the same thing
on the xb-40 there the thinness of the xb-40 bends really comes
through.

The XB-40 is tough to play and one needs extremely good intonation to
make it sound right.  I know of very few players that have the
intonation skills to do the XB-40 justice.

Chris Michalek

www.michalekstrone.com
CD Available
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/michalekstrone