[Harp-L] Re: XB-40

Chris Michalek wrote:

> The XB-40 is tough to play and one needs extremely good intonation to
> make it sound right.  I know of very few players that have the
> intonation skills to do the XB-40 justice.

I own an XB-40 in G, and I find it to be a useful and expressive instrument.  According to Rick Epping, it's not designed to be played as a fully chromatic instrument, David Fairweather's generally laudable efforts in that regard notwithstanding.   It's designed as a kind of super-diatonic harp, where a deep bend can be applied to any note for expressive purposes.  That's why every note bends a full step, instead of a half-step, which would be more useful for controlling intonation on bends.

If one approaches the XB-40 with the idea that it's like a regular diatonic, only with increased expressive possibilities, then playing it in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd position only is no problem.  Most harp players play exclusively in those positions anyway, whether or not the instrument gives them a choice, so it's not a problem for most players.

I use non-standard tunings for a lot of my diatonic work and chromatics for material that modulates a lot, so it doesn't bother me that an XB-40 isn't ideally set up for chromatic playing.  As Winslow's recent mp3 release to this list shows, it's plenty expressive.  I'm glad I have one in my kit.

Beyond that, there is no single instrument in my kit that's suitable for every piece I play.  A lot of players seem to approach the XB-40, or any other new idea related to harmonica (or mic, or amp) design, from the point of view that the new instrument has to replace everything they've used previously, or it's no good.  I think it's more productive to ask whether the new piece of kit gives you something you never had before, as opposed to replacing something that works perfectly well already.  I mean, if you've already got blue paint on your palette, what's wrong with red, or green, or yellow?  There aren't a lot of artists out there who can keep me interested with only one color.

Thanks and regards,
Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com