Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Re: XB-40

"Michael Peloquin" wrote:
"I think that there are two distinct schools of thought here:
1.) Richard is the rare performer that will often perform his own SOLO
harmonica pieces. These pieces are his compositions that he controls fully
being the composer and the entire orchestra. Richard does not use overblows
that I know of. (LO player, public disdain of the sound, etc.)..."

I generally agree with what Mike says in this post.  However, for the record, I do overblow (and on my Lee Oskars, too).  Examples can be heard on several of my solo recordings, such as "Blue Monk" from "The Act of Being Free in One Act", and "Blue Hunter" from "The Second Act of Free Being."

When a passing tone or two is needed, I'm glad to overblow.  When every other note has to be played with either a bend or an overblow, I'd rather use the chromatic.

Thanks and regards,
Richard Hunter