[Harp-L] vic 4510T

Thanks Bob, and I agree the real bassman can be played stock and sound
great. But here is the issue with a "boutique" company not helping their
customers, and guess what, they called ME to find out how to set up Hummel's amp  when
he bought his Victoria for harp. I couldn't make up that story. So if you
want a harp amp, go to someone to knows harp, and will be there 100% customer
service and knows tube setups, tone controls, how tone controls can give more
loudness and projection than just volume, and push the envelope. I have no
problem with Bob thinking his real bassman sounds great the way it is, I do
believe I have taken it farther in my tube substitution manual, and all the 100
customers who own Sonny Jr 410 will attest to that, but that is something you
get when you buy into the company, and no SJ410 owner respectfully keeps the
information to themselves. Did I spend nearly a half million dollars on
vintage  amps to just give this away, no. Have I made any serious money on my 410,
no.  Next year I hope to, and I fell I deserve to for all the research spent
and time  offered to my customers. So if you can find one of those rare
untouched bassmans  like Bob has, get ready to shell out 4-5K, but I would mine up
against it any  day, and if mine if maybe 5% difference in tone just due to newer
parts, that  ain't bad in my book. Most of my customers are not part of
HarpL, so that is why  the list is not flooded with them chiming in. The paper in
oil capacitors I use  have a huge factor in our tone, being the only company in
the WORLD to use these  in stock production further separates us from
everyone else. Bob is right on  about linear pots, BOOM, open right up. Linear means
opens 10% at 1, so 100K out  of 1 meg 20% on 2 , 200K out of 1 meg.etc. , so
if you have a 1 meg pot which is  the volume pot, and bass pot, you would be
getting a lot of sound too quickly.  Bassmans call for 10% audio taper, which
means at volume control on 5, you have  10% of the total value, so it creeps up
to 10%, or 100K, by 5, so you have a  nice sweep, then your other 90% happens
from 5 on, or if it goes to 12, halfway  would be 6. Many many original
bassmans, as I have seen them dead original,  used a 1 meg audio for the normal
volume, and a 1 meg linear for the bright  volume, if it was a 59, the 1 meg
linear was usually an older 1956 pot they  had laying around. Bob always has great
insight on bassmans, and I  don't ever mean to discount his saying original
setup is best, I just have  spent so many years with high impedence mics and
tube configurations,  it is a matter of preference, and what my customers want,
to be able to  feel it opening up more, getting thunderous with overdrive
later. all that. I  have not stopped pushing the envelope and have just received
the Weber  attenuator, which will allow a big amp like my 410 to be able to be
used in  ANY venue, that's right, for that same tone, just less decibels, in a
small  room. Much smaller than the THD hotplate which works but is huge. Will
have  more info SOON, look for the new site in a month, and the back page of
Best L'il  Harphouse where our ad will be. Thanks for all of your support  and
comments. Sonny jr.