Subject: [Harp-L] the music in you

Garry writes (and quotes Richard Hunter):

"Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> if you  can get across the sounds that are in your head and
> your heart -- then  you're making music that matters.
> You're good enough when you  can play what you hear in your head.

i've been meaning to comment on  this since it first saw it.
this so perfectly captures what playing is about  for me, it's like
richard read my mind.  i'm a long way from that, but  this is
where i'm heading.  gonna be a long journey, but at least  it's
a fun one.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T  Labs

Your love, your anger, your kindness, your hate.
All of it  creates the future for you and your children.
What kind of future are you  creating today?"

......you're so right, Garry.  I should have responded to Richard's  post
before now.  It's exactly how I think of playing music too:  if I  can come close
to expressing the music I hear in my head - even if it's  only to my own
satisfaction, then I'm a happy camper.  I've managed to  achieve it a time or two.

The only small problem is in knowing whether one knows whether or  not what
one hears in heart and head is being recognized by others....In my  case my
admittedly very small audience of family members.  I suspect I'm  being indulged
when what I want is honest, objective feedback.

Some people can't separate their taste (or non-appreciation) for a  music
genre from their appreciation of the instrument.  They'd much prefer  I do
something far more "ladylike" such as returning to singing and playing  the piano
<g>.

Elizabeth