Re: [Harp-L] Re: XB-40

jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> So the list consensus seems to be that nobody (but me) likes the XB-40.   I
> wonder how long Hohner
> will continue to make them if the list is any indication of the general buying
> public?

You're not alone. I find the XB-40 extremely useful but it isn't a
replacement for a standard diatonic nor is it the answer to playing
chromatically on a diatonic. Like the chromatic, echo and auto-valve
harps they have their time and place. Although I play many styles I
especially like them for bluegrass because their loudness competes well
with banjos and fiddles.

I own several and have found them easy to play. I'm amazed when hear so
many experienced harp players tell me that they couldn't figure out how
to make them work. Yeah, intonation on bends requires a learning curve
because you don't have to hit the bends as hard and the tone is not as
rich as a standard diatonic but but I haven't come across any other
issues.

Bobby