Re: [Harp-L] Favorite Brand/Model of Diatonic?

CHARLES BASSI wrote:

Aside from using altered tunings, which may be available in one brand/model
and not another of diatonic, do you harpers find it best to stick to one brand/model of harmonica?

Just speaking for myself, but I do indeed find it best to stick with one brand.

Maybe I'm losing my marbles, but to me the Oskars sound slightly sharper in pitch than the Hohners. Granted, both of the brands are tuned slightly sharp to pitch, which is why Kenny and I always tune by ear and never use tuners. I'm only guessing here -- I've never calibrated this -- but the Oskars sound about A=443 or A=444, whereas the Hohners sound about A=442. Has anyone ever calibrated this phenomenon using meters? I'd like to know if I'm nuts... <g>

This doesn't really create a problem when playing with tuneable instruments (guitars etc,) but it can be a significant problem if you're playing along with, say, a grand piano. Many times in a studio session I've had to ask the engineer to VSO the harp a few cents flatter in order to play in tune with a well-tuned (A=440) piano.

My point being, I personally find it difficult to mix Oskars and Hohners in the same set of harps -- the Oskars being slightly sharp to the Hohners. Therefore, I'd recommend sticking with whichever of the two you like, and use them for every key. I respect Lee and think he makes a fine product, but I happen to prefer the (US version) Special 20's for my style.

And I haven't yet tried the Suzukis -- can anybody out there offer any input as to how they fit into the picture, tuning-wise?

cheers and best to all,

-Tom Ball
http://www.tomballksennysultan.com