Re: [Harp-L] OBs on hering harps

drori hammer wrote:
> Are there any of you OB players out there that use
> Hering "vintage1923" harps? I am trying to master
> overblowing and have a lot of these harps in my case.
> Is there any point in trying to set them up for OBs,
> or are they unsuitable?

It's possible to set any harp up for overblows, but it takes more or
less work, depending on where you start.  Herings are closer out of the
box than Oskars or Suzukis, but not as close as Hohners.

For one thing, the Vintage 1923 is tuned to 7-limit just, and has
deeply flatted 5 and 9 draws, as well as other notes flatted for
chording.  This isn't really optimal for single-note playing.  If
you're just tossing a couple of overblows into your 2nd position
playing they might work okay.  If you're using overblows to achieve
other modes and positions, or if you're doing a lot of melody work
accompanying other instruments, you'll want something closer to equal
tempered.

I have one 1923 that's set up for overblowing, and it sounds a little
too shrill for my taste.  I'm sticking with my Golden Melodies.

-tim