Re: [Harp-L] cleaning tips

The other, more famous Richard Smith (the English one) suggests
using effervescent type denture cleaner for cleaning harps.
I've heard that suggestion before, and it always sounded like a
terrific idea to me.  But, I remember reading somewhere that
this type of cleaner will "discolor" the reed plates.

I have never noticed discoloration of the brass. The chemicals in "Efferdent" are not the kind that would draw molecules from the zinc (the 'active' metal), and since copper is noble on the galvanic scale, it won't dis-color either.

  I guess
this wouldn't be a big deal, if only the color is affected.
However, I can't help feeling that this discoloring is due to
some change to the metal, and that this change may also affect
the sound of the reeds.

Yes, dis-coloration usually means a change in the metal is taking place. A strong acid or alkalai will do that, but the alkali in denture tablets is too mild to go more than an atom into the surface. Besides, it won't be soaking that long. I use only one tablet in fairly warm water for 13 minutes on 1/2 'set' (6).

BTW, I also use efferdent on all my horns (sop-alt-ten-clar-flute). It is a lot milder than having them dipped in brass instrument cleaner and even though you have to use a whole pack of the stuff, it's still much cheaper. :)
smokey-joe (& the Cafe s)

  I would really like to try this method,
but I'm cautiously hesitant.  Richard, do you actually use this
method?  Can you dispell my fears? How about some of you other
Harp-L'ers?

Richard J. Smith
Wormleysburg, PA