Re: [Harp-L] Copying an amp

I have a question that on the surface sounds kind of dumb but since I've
never built an amp it might not be.  Here it is:  Suppose I have a
point-to-point wired amp (which I do) that I really, really love (which I
do) and I wanted to make a copy of it just for my own use and as a project
for maybe next winter (as if I don't have enough to do as it is).  If I
get
all the proper components, caps, resistors, transformers, speakers etc,
and
wired it up exactly the same as the original, making nice, clean solder
joints and all that would it be unreasonable to expect to end up with an
amp
that sounds pretty close to the original?  Would it be hard? What would be
the pitfalls?  Anybody ever do this?

Back in the days of wooden ships and iron men, radio amateurs did just that, built their own gear in the fashion that you state. Someone(s) made gear that worked and provided schematics, parts lists and layouts to others (via the ARRL) and other people cloned it. Basically that's what you propose, a clone. It would be unreasonable to expect it to NOT sound like the original.

I haven't done such a thing in years, but back in the day I did it, right
down to bending the sheet metal to make the chassis. Make sure that you can
get all the parts before you start. I'm guessing that the exact same transformer could be the showstopper if it's a vintage amp (but you might be able to find one with the same windings (# taps, ratios)), but as I said, I haven't done it in years.

Peace and music,
Dave