Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Dixieland Harmonica

Yeah, it's a real treasure. In addition to the Toots cuts, you also get 8 live Les Thompson cuts, backed by an all star band in 1952. I had been interested in Les ever since hearing his great solo on Al Jarreau's "This Time" album (the cut is "Change Your Mind") back in 1980 and while there are a few other recordings of him around, they are very hard to find. All the more reason to seek out Toots Blues if you don't already have it. I just did a Froogle search and there are still a few new cd copies hanging around...

- Slim.

randy singer wrote:

I just got a copy of of TOOTS BLUES.

Though I would not exclusively classify it as a dixieland cd, there is a strong dixieland presence, the banjo, old tymey songs and rhythms

Plus, some of the absolute most burning harmonica solos by toots thielemans.

I consider this one of my most valuable toots cd's. His playing is just mindblowing, the superfast and superconcise lines he used to play in the fifties.

I found a cd copy on the internet, danny wilson may have a few copies, though I think he said his copies were vinyl.

heads up,

randy