Re: [Harp-L] Tune on Harmonic Minor Harp?

The harmonic minor scale harmonicas can be an awful lot of fun. I try to
keep one standard major and one harmonic minor with me all the time so I
have my choice of what to play. Here are some ideas of what you can do with
it:
 Hava Nagila
Brahm's Hungarian Rhapsody #5 [if memory serves]
the spooky "Welcome to Hogwarts" theme from the third Harry Potter movie
("Double, Double, Toil and Trouble,...")
the "snake charmer" theme we heard as kids on Bugs Bunny (It has a name, but
I cannot remember it.)
 These pieces lay out fine on the harmonic minor scale without any bends or
overblows. Have fun with them. There are other tunes that fit, as well, but
these are probably the most commonly known, especially right now.
 I have two other things, outside of playing actual tunes, that I also like
to do with a harmonic minor harmonica. The first is play any scale exercise
or tune that you would normally play on a standard major diatonic, and play
it, instead, on the harmonic minor. It really can have very fun and strange
results. For example, play "Mary had a Little Lamb" or "The Marine's Hymn"
on the harmonic minor and see what you get -- or maybe "Dixie". Because I
play fiddle tunes, I put them on the harmonic minor with very interesting
results. "The Chicken Dance" sounds really cool and twisted all at the same
time when played on the harmonic minor scale. This exercise is especially
good for demonstrating the difference between the scales to someone who does
not already understand -- first playing the tune or scale on a regular major
diatonic, then playing it on the harmonic minor diatonic (preferably in keys
relatively close to one another).
 The other thing that I like to do with a harmonic minor harmonica is
explore or wander. You can play anything you want, making up a tune as you
go, with a harmonic minor harmonica and it will sound as if you were playing
a real tune -- not just one you were making up as you went. The end result
is you can simply play the harmonic minor harmonica to clear your mind --
deliberately not thinking of anything at all. Anything you come up with will
still sound neat.
 I hope these ideas suit your needs. I really enjoy my harmonic minor
harmonicas. I hope you come to enjoy yours, as well.
 Cara Cooke