RE: [Harp-L] U Blocking

Mike Will's site, and G, have information available about this
particular embechoure. I used it aslo as a primary technique - even for
OB.

I like the advantages it has in other effects such as single note
counter points while chugging. I also like to use the "groove tongue"
(another name for U block) for intervals, but not just octave intervals.
The groove part gives me the advantage of allowing for distinct chords
using three notes - for instance the 1d-3d-5d is possible here. Along
with the vamping, and trills, vibrato, other tongue blocking effects
have not suited me. Tongue switches are easily available, and so are all
the notes in between for glisses. I don't have to move the harp much.
And for added effects, I find that with the groove tongue, just moving
my lower jaw helps add to the arsenal of licks this particular technique
can offer.

Lip blocking, at least for me, is able to get some of the speedier
effects in my opinion, and the only way I can speed is by both moving
the harp, and allowing my jaw bone to shift right or left for those fast
runs. That adaptation is because I am primarily a U blocker.

I also find it to be a comfortable method for harmonica parlor tricks.
Like bending only one note in an interval, for instance.

There ain't a dang thing wrong with any particular method, and it will
pay to bone up on all of the current methods. Not just for a one trick
pony thing, but to hear the ranges of articulation, and tonality that
the different "blocks" can offer. Be a block head.