[Harp-L] Reed dimensions and tone

It's been noted by others, and I concur, that the 12
and 14 hole Marine Bands have a sweeter tone than most
other harps (including the 10 hole MB). Since I'm in
the faction that doesn't consider comb material
relevant in tone production (uh-oh, put this alongside
that rock player we dare not mention) I'm wondering
what else contributes to a harp's inherent tone.

Of course coverplate size and shape are important but
with swapped covers or no covers my 364 has a liitle
something extra. Reed and plate material are another
obvious factor but I assume that SP20, MB, GM are all
made from the same stuff.

That basically leaves just reed dimensions as a
variable. Do the larger reeds on the 354/5 and SBS
models give them their pleasant sound? Am I
delusional?

By the way, Howard says on his site that he uses
Filiskoed MBs with SP20 covers. Why? Like I said, both
models are made of the same reed material. If he likes
the covers why not use the complete SP20 with smooth
plastic comb? Unless he's one who belives in the comb
material issue we dare not mention.

Paul

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs