[Harp-L] re: appropriate compensation

I go to a gig with about $1500.00 worth of gear and I use cheap used keys, and
an ancient dinosaur of an amp. I love playing live, but I need gig money just
to keep my gear going. My band played 3 weekends this month. I'm spending the
money on a new speaker cabinet.

Do I play free gigs? Sure. For benefits, for friends at parties. The set list is
a lot looser, we jam more, play more original tunes. A bar wants me to bring a
truck load of gear, play for four hours, all recognizable tunes guaranteed to
increase beer consumption, then I need somewhere between $80-$100.00.If the
crowd is sparse and the owner takes a bath, we talk after the gig. No problem.
Stuff happens.

I love playing music but it's a long four hours and I work hard the whole time.
The four hours doesn't include practice time, load up time, travel time, set up
time, rehearsal time, etc.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm