[Harp-L] John Popper

Hey list,
 Not that anyone cares, but put me down as someone who likes Popper  & BT a
lot. Singing, songwriting, &, yes, harp playing.  His speed  runs are based on
patterns & might not always fit what a blues inspired  listener wants to hear.
Everyone I've heard who plays fast, & I mean  EVERYONE, uses patterns
(usually deeply ingrained, memorized patterns) to  achieve speed. Repeated use of
pattern playing can & does become annoying to  some listeners, sometimes. Some
folks feel the same way about the endless  reliance on  cliches & the "tone over
chops" ethic that has  diluted the blues scene.
   Actually, what I  like most about Popper's playing  is that he comes up
with cool, memorable  motifs to set up  his songs- these are often very melodic.
I also find his use of effects to  be refreshing.

  I can play as fast as most anyone & I often do. I think playing  fast is
very cool when it fits the song or the flow of a solo. Richard Hunter  makes
this  point about Popper:  "his playing is about ecstasy;  his cascades of notes
are a volcanic eruption of sheer joy" . When I'm shredding  I sometimes get
that feeling, but I can also be expressing rage or pain.  If you don't like it,
that's ok. You don't have to like it or listen to  it.

Just don't tell me I shouldn't like it.

BTW, the latest lineup of BT kicks ass. Ben Wilson, late of Big Dave &  the
Ultrasonics, is a monster keyboard player & the bass player has added  some
serious groove.

Later,
Rosco

_may.be au.gust_ (http://www.maybeaugust.com/)