Re: [Harp-L]you know who

At 03:31 PM 7/22/2005 -0400, Barbara Butler wrote:
>I have never seen Popper live, I do not have his CDs. I went to
>this website and listened to some of his MP3s. I don't not know
>much about blues except that I find what I have heard to be very
>negative, "downer" type music. From what I have heard from other
>non-blues people (listeners and musicians) this is the general
>perception. Popper seems to have a more upbeat almost "Springsteen
>" style, and he seems to be a very capable player. Is there perhaps
>a bit of sour grapes here? That someone who is not "true to the
>tradition" would be a success while all the "real" blues players
>are struggling.

I will say you're likely to take a few hits for that "downer" type music
comment, but, what the hey...  Old Blues is truly like that; born of misery
and strife.  Later on, the chordal progression was given a lift and the music
became lively, sardonic, and danceable... the latter made all the difference
in the world.  People love to dance if the music grabs them, and blues music
today is definitely, largely, danceable.  And relatively, music can't just
stand still.  It must move on.  It is a plastic art; devotees demand that it
grow and evolve, or they abandon it and look elsewhere.

Blues today is reborn in jump styles and jazz... coming of age, you might
say.  As you note, "purists" are offended.  Well, so be it... they can keep
on playing and listening to what they like.  No law stopping them, and more
the power to them, that they might preserve, and continue exposing us to,
this valued heritage of music.  They should not be disdained, nor should
those who progress be roasted for their vision of music.

We do tend to waste a lot of mental, emotional and psychic energy deriding
others' efforts and accomplishments instead of learning from them.  Then
again... isn't it interesting how time and time again the very name of the
"one we dare not mention" is dropped and another new learning enlightenment
arises!  I love it!!

My main regret is the namesake's apparent lack of appreciation that his input
could dispel criticism and promote education, awareness, skill development,
etc.  So, I and others are left to speculate that his unwillingness to be
involved is just some apprehension based on distrust, disrespect, egomania,
simply not caring about other harp players... whatever.  If so, that's the
real shame in my book.

Bobbie