Re: [Harp-L] Appropriate compensation for gigs

On Jul 22, 2005, at 12:56 AM, Moandabluz@xxxxxxx wrote:

About 25 years ago I was playing bass guitar in country bands for $50 a
night, $100 for things like wedding dances. I don't know what that would correlate
with today's money, but I'd probably play bass again if I could make $100 a
night.

50 years ago I played in a sidewalk cafe in Italy. Being a NON-citizen (and 13) I wasn't allowed to work, so they would slip me 1,ooo lire (abt $1.6o u.s.) tip at the end of the evening.

However, I just agreed to try and work out something with a local band where
I would get about $20 a night...so.. I guess it all depends on the
situation. The $20 gig is whenever I can make it and I play 10-15 minutes per set,
probably sets. I will probably get fed in the process sometimes.

How's this for a situation? There's this guy who runs a jam at a local restaurant. He claims the place isn't doing very well and he's trying to get business to pick up. So meanwhile, several months the place started with a sax man and keyboard getting paid and the drummer worked for the tips. The crowds? were about 20-21. So over a period of 7 1/2 months, the band has grown (ALL non-paid) to 13-14 off and on with at least 9 showing up every jam.
The crowds gradually went from 30-31 to 46-47 and on a good night 70. As long as someone was playing in the band on a regular basis, they could have a free steak. They could also have a free drink every set. While most of the members are in their 70s and don't take advantage, a few are younger and take advantage of the freebies. The older ones usually bring one or two other couples, so, in retrospect, a better portion of the crowd is either musicians or musician's groupies/friends.
Meanwhile, the leader (the original guy who started it all), was invited to South America a couple weeks ago by the co-owner of the Rest. He and his wife spent over a week there. THIS from a place who can't pay musicians. It's lucky for them that there are a lot of old guys down here who play for the love of playing. Besides, what could they pay me. Almost anything they offered would be an insult, no?

The ONLY thing I think is in poor taste is that these fellows running these jams will mention the tip jar. Then they will mention that the guys have all shown up for nothing. Then they will say something like "Tipping is not a city in China" and "let's help they guys get back across the (toll) bridge". Then, THEY pocket the tips TOO.

 I'm doing it
because it's a way to get better and have some fun.

You hit the nail on the head THERE. I only play to keep myself in the game. To me, it's practice and while I do a lot of playing for little or nothing, I feel I am taking advantage of THEM. Here I have some of the best musicians money can buy and it doesn't cost me a dime. PLUS, you really have to know your s**t to keep up with some of these guys. AND if I ever want to cut a CD, these guys are like 'family' by now (8 yrs) and they will all sit in for nothing. Fact is, almost every musician down here has, at least at one time, had some sort of recording out, in one way or another. I (myself) have sat in on a couple so far. Something I was never able to do in Pittsburgh.

And if I blow out a harp, I
can buy a new one out of the playing money. Now... if I were playing fulltime
with a band and had to learn a bunch of stuff and really work hard at it, I
think $100 a man is fair compensation.

'I' don't feel that is 'quite' enough, but it's better than nothing. Especially if you have the free time. :)
As always STEVE, your posts are enlightening. :)
smo-joe

Anybody know any rich harp players? Other than the harp player we are not
supposed to mention?
Still a fool for the Harp
Steve 'Moandabluz' Webb