RE: [Harp-L] Appropriate compensation for gigs

What I read in Tobe's post is not that one should not be paid for playing
but that one should be playing for love of music and performing, not JUST to
make money.  I didn't infer from his post that one should not be able to
make a living playing music, I did infer from it that in his opinion if one
goes into the business just to make money, one will most likely fail.

Argue that point all you will, it's his opinion and not a bad one at that.
In my opinion, the best musicians are those who live to play and not play to
live well.  I just finished seeing "Festival Express" and watching folks
like Jerry Garcia, Janis Joplin, Rick Danko and others playing for the sheer
joy of it was a real pleasure.  Sure, they were professionals and made their
living playing music. But they were musicians and music freaks first.

That, I believe, is the first point Tobe was trying to make.

Regards,

Robert Gaustad