Re: [Harp-L] Appropriate compensation for gigs

I play because I love music, and the harmonica is my instrument... I have
been trying to make a living as a musician since the 1960's... It is hard...
Harder now than it ever was... I play a lot in bars.... Back in 1966 the going
rate for a band in a bar  in London was £20.00 a session ... with inflation, that
would probably be £300 now, in 2005....Well, the going rate in most pubs
these days in London is between £100-£150 for the gig... Some "prestige" places
expect you to pay THEM!!!!!   The publican does not care if it is a karaoke guy
with a bunch of dvds, or the London Philharmonic 100 piece orchestra... That
is why I often play as a "duo" charging £120 ...£60 each... but that is not
enough to pay the mortgage...
A couple of weeks ago, I performed for nothing, at the "Symphony Hall",
Birmingham, England... With "Bob Brolly and Friends".... 3,500 audience all paying
£15 a head... ALL the proceeds went to charity. NONE of the musicians received
payment... To help to find a cure for breast cancer! To perform it cost me
£60.00 in petrol for the round trip from London... BUT I performed to 3,500
people.... It was WONDERFUL.
I LOVE to play my harmonica.... One day I'll be a famous musician... Hey,
after 40 years on the road, overnight success is just around the corner!
Best wishes
John Walden
London
England