[Harp-L] Subject: Playing without pain...hope this helps

I realize this is ostensibly "off-topic".  But it relates to feeling  good
enough to play without pain in wrists and hands (affecting your  harping) and
even knees and lower extremities:  travelling to SPAH;  getting up on stage;
walking to gigs?  I've made so many  friends here I can't not tell my story to
people I care about in the hope  someone is helped even a little:

I suffered for years with lower back pain compounded by other joint  pain:
Knees, wrists, etc.  I was pretty much house-bound.  Had  major back surgery I
won't go into.  What affected me on a daily basis was  simply standing,
walking, using my hands.  Living.

Other things possibly come into play:  I'm on a neurological med  I began at
the same time for migraines that might remotely have  something to do with
helping me, but I don't believe it's responsible  (just telling you as a
disclaimer).  But my miracle potion and  what enabled me to throw away a cane I'd used
to help me walk for 15 years and  get to Buckeye in April and manage to
function as a reasonably normal person  without anyone being the wiser is something
that many of you may already be  taking in pill form but is absolutely
incredibly better in its liquid  version:  Symtec Liquid Joint Movement
Glucosamine/Chondroitin with MSM and  Collagen.  2 tablespoons taken at the same time
every day.   I buy it at Costco for 33 days supply for a very reasonable cost.
It's also available at my local Eckerd's drug store for half the size (same
price).  I've been taking it now for 16 months.  My life has changed
dramatically.  I originally only hoped it would help my knee pain.  I  no longer have
heel pain (plantar fascitis), my knees still make strange noises  climbing
stairs, but 95% of that pain is gone and I can now kneel and get back  up again
without help. I can walk without discomfort and now stand for  hours while I play
my harmonica (never could do that before).  I'd had  trigger finger surgery
with a year of therapy prior to beginning this stuff  -- the next finger had
begun triggering and I assumed more surgery - that's now  disappeared and even
the original finger has quieted down.  My lowback pain  is much improved even
though I'd long given up on that ever happening.

The reason I mention it now is because I begged a good  friend to take it for
her bad knees (she's the 15th or so person I've started on  this)(including
my vet, my neurologist and many family members).  She  fought me to a
standstill (didn't want to spend the extra costs between the  horse-pills and the
liquid.  The horse pills don't have the MSM and  collagen (which seem to be what
makes all the difference) as well as the fact  that the Symtec is instantly
absorbed and does not upset one's  stomach.  Last night this same friend im'd me
to say that she'd  forgotten to take her dose the night before and realized 2/3
of the way through  the day yesterday that her knees were hurting a lot.
When she said this,  it dawned on me that I'd done the same thing and I was also
beginning to  ache.  I should add that when I first started on it:  it was
only 8  days after I began when my husband and my neurologist saw the difference
in my  stride - they both noticed I was walking much more smoothly and it was
then the  Dr. asked me to try giving up relying on my cane to traverse stairs.

I'm no huckster.  I have no connection to this company (though I'd  sign up
to be their spokeswoman in a heartbeat!)   They do have a  website  -
_www.symteclab.com_ (http://www.symteclab.com)  where  one can purchase the product,
but you can get it at Costco.  Sam's  Warehouse sells a similar product that
seems to have the exact same ingredients  but I've never tried it.  The reality
is that musicians and people who do  repetitive movements (athletes,
secretaries,  mechanics) are prone  to the kind of joint injuries associated with the
level of pain and  stiffness I'm talking about.  If it doesn't help you in one
month - one  bottle's cost of $18.99 (about the cost of one diatonic) then it
probably  won't.   Worth a shot?

Elizabeth