[Harp-L] Review of Olivier Ker Ourio's Somminker

I have just posted a review of Olivier Ker Ourio's Somminker on my weblog at http://harmonica.typepad.com. Here's the first few paragraphs :

Olivier Ker-Ourio is one of a new generation of chromatic harmonica players who have started to mark the European Jazz scene of their imprint in the last few years. Of his three previous albums, two are unashamedly jazz (Central Park Nord and A Ride with the Wind) and one lies between jazz and world music (Oté l'Ancêtre). The latter was the first record in which Olivier explored his Reunion Island roots, and incidentally is also my favourite of the three. Since his latest release Sominnker is rather in the same vein, it won?t come as a surprise that I liked it a lot.

Actually, Sominnker isn't an Olivier Ker Ourio record so much as a collaboration between Olivier and his habitual band (Gildas Boclé? on double-bass, Pierre de Bethmann on piano and Franck Agulhon on drums) and maloya singer Danyel Waro. The record constitutes of about 2/3 vocal tracks sung in creole, the rest being instrumentals.

The thing that struck me upon first listening to this record is the cohesiveness of the ensemble. Of course, the jazz arrangements alter the original maloya sound some, but without betraying its essence, in particular its rhythmic core. In other words, it doesn't sound like collaboration records often do, ie. artists watering down their identity: it sounds like these guys have been playing together forever. The sleeve notes mention the existence of a documentary on this recording session, and I hope I get to see it one day, because it's pretty obvious listening to the music that there has been a true cultural exchange going on...