Re: [Harp-L] Baroque Music on Chromatic?

On Jul 31, 2005, at 7:06 AM, <teyers@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As indicated on the list, I'll be making the long trek from
Australia to attend the SPAH convention, something I've been
wanting to do for many years.

Too bad you won't be dragging Paul Farmer (Canberra) with you.

 I'll be involved in various
bluegrass harmonica events, formal and informal, and hope to
catch up on a lifetime of missed harmonica opportunities.

In particular, I look forward to hearing and learning from
the many great masters that I read about on this list. Given
the array of talent at the convention, a question that I've
considered for some time may be answered; namely is it
possible to play baroque music convincingly on the chromatic?

AHAAA! Every now and then a pearl gets dropped on us. This is such a pearl. The sort of thing that gets a body walking around the house and muttering to themselves, and trying to come up with some sort of answer.
Cham-Ber Huang used to play a lot of Baroque. I believe Doug Tate still DOES. The word 'convincingly' opens up a HUGE aspect. In my many years of hearing harmonica players, I have had the impression that when trying to navigate some pieces, the trio, singleton (with backup), or group ensemble, would modify, change, or otherwise adjust the music to suit THEM. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Baroque uses a fairly simple structure BUT can sometimes be rather quick. I don't mean this as a 'timing' or tempo issue. I mean it as a 'Note on practically EVERY beat' issue.

My guess is probably not. However I would gladly welcome the chance to be shown otherwise at the SPAH convention.

My interest in baroque music is more than just a passing
one. For the last decade I've played recorder in a
professional baroque ensemble (harpsichord, soprano voice,
two violins, cello, barqoue flute and recorder), with mostly
conservatorium trained players (unlike myself).

As you know, recorder and clarinet are 'kings' of baroque because you have 9 fingers working for you and you DON't have to change embochure (at least not much). Flute is good too except that embochure is paramount and any slight slip, and you loose it. Harpsichpord is not a problem as long as your fingers are strong, mainly because you are plucking the strings (instead of hammering them). This 'indirect' manipulating of the keys makes it harder to play smoothly. Strings are VERY fast, and since you have 4 fingers and a bow, you can cover a LOT of ground. That 18 13/16" of bow is almost unbeatable.
Trumpet, as you know, can obtain several different notes on the SAME embochure, OR using different embochures (thinning or thickening of the lips) and manipulating the valves. Switching embochures can be tedious and for really large 'spans' of notes, a 'piccolo' trumpet works better (less jet-lag). But at least you don't have to switch BREATHS.

 Hence I've
gained a reasonable understanding of the baroque repertoire
and performance styles.

Chromo has the disadvantage of requiring breath-switching, a veritible 'death-knell' for many types of musics.

One might find it advantageous to investigate the "Smokey-Joe" trick. (Well, actually, I'm lying, it's not my trick). Study the music and see how the waterfalls and stairsteps lay on the chromatic. Sometimes, one finds that one particular key works better than another. Sometimes the original key is nigh onto impossible (ON chromo)
Here is where the 'smo-joe switching chromatics' comes into play. Bear with me for a minute.

While certainly not Baroque, there is a So. American Chorinho called "Cavaquinho". Not only is it devilishly fast but also contains a note on almost EVERY beat. It turns out that it's original key is G. Yeah, right, just TRY to do it in G. Maybe IF you were Hendrik Meurkens. Well, of all the 12 keys, it sits easiest in F. In F you let the slide do a lot more of the work and there is far less breath switching. In such a case it would be better to use a D chromatic, play it in the key of F, and you will wind up with the sound coming out of your chromocorn in the original key of G. Simple.

Now I know there are 'purists out there who insist on playing only a C chromo, learning everything ON a C chromo, and doing all 24 keys ON a C chromo. Fine, you're a better man than 'I am Gunga-Din. I almost never use a chromo in the key it is made. For C I generally choose a G played in F, an F played in G, Bb played in D. Sounds crazy, right? Well, there's a reason for it. C coming out of a different keyed instrument sounds...well...different. Then there's the DRAW key vs. BLOW key issue, but we don't need to get into that right now.

There is a tune called "La Danza Della Buffone" (Dance of the Comedians). It just happens to lay well on a C chromo, is very fast, and the first TWIN 8 measure lead-in sections would require a LOT of practice. Here, you have no choice, and just have to bite the bullet. As to whether Baroque can be played CONVINCINGLY? I think that if a person has the desire, it will happen. To me, at least, the crux would seem to be that studying the piece, working it through several (if not ALL) keys, and then choosing the one that either seems smoother, more authentic, is easier, sounds right, is the answer. This is the beautiful thing about music. NO ONE has, as yet, mastered it.

A person could play & study music all their life and at the end would be left with this revelation: "Jeez, I ALMOST have it".

One of the reasons I don't think we hear a lot of Baroque played on harmonica is that there was never much call for it. I think you may be onto something. Since you are a phenominal player on diatonic (I have never heard you on chromo), I am going to take a chance and assume you can teach us a lot more than we could ever teach you.

Hopefully there will be chromatic players at SPAH who can show that the instrument is up to the baroque repertoire, and hence correct my view on this.

btw, there are a couple ex-flute players over on Slidemeister who do Baroque. I don't know how good they are?
smokey-joe & the cafe s