[Harp-L] Hearing yourself

Anyone have any suggestions for how to hear yourself clearly at an
electric jam?  I've been playing harp actively for about a year and
recently began attending various open mike jams at clubs in town to gain
experience.   No matter how much I complain to the sound board operator,
I can never hear myself clearly through the monitors.  When I play thru
my Fender Champ Amp and face it towards me like a monitor, it helps, but
I still can't hear subtle notes.  (Of course, guitarists that like to
play at "11" don't help.)  Am I the only harp player with this problem?
As I improve, will it be less important to hear myself clearly?

Jeff