RE: [Harp-L] Re: Hearing yourself

-----Original Message-----
From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of M. N.
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 4:15 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Hearing yourself

Jeff wrote:
"I've been playing harp actively for about a year and recently began
attending various open mike jams at clubs in town to gain experience ... I
can never hear myself clearly through the monitors. <snip>Am I the only harp
player with this problem? As I improve, will it be less important to hear
myself clearly?"

============================

But it's been
my experience that as you get better on the instrument and develop more
resonant tone, you will suddenly have fewer problems hearing yourself in the
mix (plus, the gear you used to think inadequate will suddenly start -
magically! - to sound pretty good). Hang in there, have fun and keep
blowing! Lessons are invaluable if you can track down a teacher in your
area.
 In terms of learning to play harp, one year's not much. You know
the old saying, "Harp takes 5 minutes to learn and 20 years to master."
Personally, I think that 20-year figure is optimistic.
MN

I agree with what MN has posted, and might say that the 20 year might be
loosely converted to 'hours in the wood shed'.  I know that as I have grown
more confident in my ability, it seemed I could hear myself better, but it
was not as important to hear myself 100% of the time.  I also found out that
I had to "Know my limitations" as the saying goes.

Doyle