RE: [Harp-L] metronome recommendations

Jp "Pagan" asked:
> can anyone recommend a
> relatively inexpensive, portable, GOOD sounding
> metronome? i have a MetroGnome, which has an awful
> sound, and i know about the metronome online, but i
> can't always carry my computer everywhere.
> suggestions?

Jp, glad to hear you appreciate the benefits of using a metronome!  Great
way to develop your sense of timing, amongst other things.  Here's a page
that has several quality metronomes:

http://www.guitarprinciples.com/Shopping/Products/metronomes.htm

It is part of a guitar training course that focuses on proper guitar
ergonomics.  The method's core concept employs a metronome to deliberately
slow your playing down so you can achieve proper ergonomics and then
systematically speed up your playing, aiming to retain the good ergonomics
you've programmed into your muscle memory at slower speeds (a valid concept
for any instrument, IMO).  If you are interested in the details of how this
classical guitar virtuoso uses a metronome, see this page:

http://www.guitarprinciples.com/Shopping/Products/MetUse1.htm

You just might find a hint or two that could help you use yours.

Because the metronome plays such a key role in his system, the guy who
designed the course has studied metronomes carefully.  He likes the ones
that have a rotary control as they allow easy adjustment while playing.  I
have a Seiko tuner as well as a Seiko metronome.  They are both high
quality, easy to use tools.  BTW, the metronomes on the first page I cited
(which has links to Amazon should you care to purchase one that way), range
in price from $20-$125, so take your pick, as I am sure any one would suit
your needs nicely.

My personal advice is to pick a metronome with bright leds that give you a
good visual indication that you can see in the periphery of your vision
(especially handy in a darkened room; either way, they are much easier to
use than a needle-based metronome).  That way you can study charts, tabs,
other players, etc., since you don't have to focus your attention
exclusively on the metronome (e.g., with the sound turned down low or
completely off, which is a good way to "wean" yourself from it).  Like the
author above, I prefer a metronome with rotary rate selectors as they are
convenient to adjust while playing.  One of the things I like about my Seiko
(model SQ 100-77, which, incidentally, is not shown on the above web page)
is that you can adjust the style and volume of the audible tick, including
turning it off, which can be very handy--as long as you can ~see~ those
LEDs.  Also, both the tick sound and the color of the LED at the initial
tick are different than those within the bar so it is easy to distinguish
the initial tick from the rest in a given bar.  Point being that you may
spend a little more but the added flexibility of a really nice metronome may
make it far more useful to you in the long run.  I know I won't ever be
needing another metronome (so as long as I can keep track of the one I have
:).  FYI, here's Seiko's web site for their tuners and metronomes:

http://www.seiko-syd.co.jp/music/

It has a page on recommendations for selecting a metronome that you might
find useful before you decide on one.

Happy ticking,

Michelle