Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Subject: TINNITUS - Ringing in the ears - hearing loss

Steve Shaw responds:

"Hi Elizabeth

I've had tinnitus for 15 years, and about 10 years ago  I had lots of tests,
and thankfully I have a type of tinnitus that's not  associated with hearing
loss.  I have two permanent sounds in my right  ear, one very high-pitched
and the other a low rumble.  They are there  all the time.  I'm no great
believer in mind-over-matter, but in this  particular instance it has worked
for me.  I emphasise that I'm  speaking very personally, and what works for
me is not the basis of advice  for anyone else.  But I decided that this
scourge was for me and me  alone to conquer.  Tinnitus support groups and the
like are just not  for me.  I now live quite happily with it, though absolute
silence is a  luxury I can rarely afford!  Harp content - listening to and
playing  music are exceptionally therapeutic.  Playing  especially!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR  my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD:  http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm";

........I hear you, Steve, and can't disagree at all.  I'm not a  joiner
either, much preferring to take care of my physical  problems myself as much as
possible.  But a lot of folks had the  spelling of tinnitus wrong and I thought
if others wanted to do the research  it'd be easier to provide what I'd
already found.  I do like the idea of  drowning those noises out with music <G> -
that's probably what  keeps you practicing to be as good a harpist as you are.
Great incentive!
Even without tinnitus, I have music playing all the time at home.   Couldn't
imagine life without it.  I did want to add that certain  medications can also
cause tinnitus and muffled hearing so for some folks it's a  Catch-22
situation and I knew someone other than my Dad who suffered terribly  because of the
noises.  It is a serious and horrible problem for far too  many people.  I'm
thankful I'm not among their ranks, yet.

Elizabeth