[Harp-L] JR @ red bank

jason ricci and new blood played another incredible show last night
to a cold, wet, and very happy crowd at the red bank jazz and blues
festival in red bank, nj.

the rain started earlier in the day, getting worse as the evening began.
a smattering of people attended the earlier acts, which was a shame,
because JPAT, Hazmat Modine, and Killer Blues Band were all
excellent.

jason's set started about 8:20, with around 100 people standing around
in the pouring rain.  that's not bad, when you can attract 100 people to
stand outside in weather like this.  the show was amazing, very tight,
very hot.  jason was clearly very appreciative of his very hardcore, very
enthusiastic audience.  as his time was running out, he announced,
"i've got 9 minutes left.  i'm gonna talk for 8".  he talked about seeing
his first blues show when he was 14 (james cotton), and about the magic
that happens between a performer and an audience, as each brings their
own life experiences to the table.  that's what makes live music so great.
it was very personal, and very special.  he closed with a new song, "The
World's Just Wrong", and tried to shoehorn in a "Mellow Down Easy"
before the venue shut him down.

after the police pretty much chased us out of there, we retired to the walt
street pub, where local band The Incinerators were playing.  after a while
they called jason and dennis gruenling up to join them, and they played
a couple of songs with amazing jams throughout.  watching the two of these
guys together was wild; they were clearly having a great time.  so was everybody
else.  later sets included roxy perry, who played with shawn starsky and
incinerators, and various other combinations.  we left around 1, way past our bedtime.
we were still soaking wet.

all in all, a terrific night of music.  funny, i just wrote the other day about seeing
ryan hartt here last year in the rain, and here we were again.  ( jason played that
day, too.  i'm beginning to think he brings bad weather with him.  we saw him in
hoboken in february, then drove home in a raging blizzard.  three nights later
i missed another show because i couldn't get out of my driveway due to another
snowstorm. )  but hey, a little cold and wet is a small price to pay to get to share
the magic when an audience and a band get together to make live music.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Your love, your anger, your kindness, your hate.
All of it creates the future for you and your children.
What kind of future are you creating today?