[Harp-L] Re: Mitch Kashmar

XM Radio's Bluesville has being playing a lot of Mitch Kashmar lately. He plays diatonic and chromatic and is very competent of both insturments. He's a great vocalist. I really like the guy, but know very little about him. I think he's out of Southern California.

Mitch is indeed from So Cal -- Santa Barbara. I first met Mitch about 25 years ago when he was a teenager sneaking into the bars to catch the Santa Barbara Blues Society shows. He was already a great player at that point, and he's only gotten better and better.

Mitch is one of those guys who deserves to be much better known on a national level, and finally seems to be getting his due propers. In the early '90s he fronted The Pontiax, who toured Europe a few times, played the mainstage at several prestigious festivals, made a record for a Belgian company and seemed right of the verge of better recognition -- but somehow they never quite got over the hump. Certainly this was NOT due to a lack of talent -- they were a superb band.

In more recent times, Mitch recorded a Little Walter tribute CD back in '99 http://cdbaby.com/cd/mitchkashmar and his newest CD is doing really well http://cdbaby.com/cd/mkashmar

Mitch is an old buddy. A very dynamic singer, witty writer and GREAT harpman. I couldn't be happier than to see the world finally catching up to him.

cheers,

Tom Ball