Re: [Harp-L] I want to play chromatic like Stevie

Transitioning from Diatonic to Chromatic

(or as I like to put it, "adding a button to your arsenal!" ,-)

Ofcourse, the most obvious jump for the Blues Harp Diatonic Players is the "3rd Position" type Chromatic
utilizing the key of Dm on your C Chrom. Also, studying the stylings of George Smith, William Clarke and very inventive, Paul Delay will really help you navigate your way around the instrument. BTW, Delay goes way beyond the "3rd Position" realm and plays Soul and Blues in a Variety of keys.

One of the first things you want to do is decide WHERE you want to go on the chrom? Do you want to be able to play ALL music, just Classical, just Jazz, just Blues....etc

I think the wisest commitment is the ALL approach or at least during the first 2-3 years of study. This way you gain access to the multitude of "Tools and Techniques" that are useful when playing ANY of the aforementioned styles.

   Go out and purchase a few new CD's here's a good start:
1) Romances - Bonfiglio
2) Stevie Wonder - Eivets Rednow
3) Toots Thielemans ( Bill Evans) - Affinity
4) Paul Delay
5) George Harmonica Smith
6) William Clarke

There are MANY more but this is an excellent start!

These CD's are gems and will give you nice example of the many different approaches to the same instrument.

The assets you already have from playing Diatonic are all VERY helpful in the transition as well. TONE, Breathing, Dynamics and yes even Bending can all be carried over with varying degrees. So once you learn the scales in all 12 Keys, you'll already have a pretty good sound going for ya'!

If you end up choosing Classical:
Get a Teacher asap, if you can't find a Harmonicist, then try to seek out a Flute Teacher or Bonfiglio's workshop-classes.

If it's Jazz, I'd also recommend a teacher (Harmonica , Sax,etc) but there are some excellent "Jazz instructional" tools out on the market that can take you a long way. (don't forget the CD's by Turk, Galison and Meurkens)

Or if you decide on Pop ala Stevie, Buffalo, Singer, I'd recommend studying the ALL approach along with it, Hunter's book "Jazz Harp" is a terrific springboard as he's transcribed a few solos by Stevie.

Well, there's alot more to it, but I'll be getting into the rest at Bonfiglio's seminar this August.....if your really serious about the Chromatic, try and make this, as these opportunities are "few and far between" and obviously invaluable in becoming a better player and has some FUN while your doin' it,-)

enjoy the summer!
Harpfully,
Rob Paparozzi

----- Original Message ----- From: <bon@xxxxxxxxxx>